🧛 Trick or Treat season it is. The month of October brought a lot of treats for WordPress’ers’!
WordPress 6.1 beta and release candidate, Core editor improvements, WordPress 6.0.3 security release, Gutenberg 14.3 & 14.4 release, Openverse audio support, and much more.
But. before we dive into the October roundup, let’s take a small recap of what happened in the month of September. Last month brought various announcements and releases, like, Twenty-Twenty Three Style variants, WordPress 6.1 beta releases, Canonical Plugins, and much more.
Now, let’s explore the treats WordPress brought for us in this October roundup:
- The most awaited WordPress version of this year is expected to drop on November 1, 2022.
Core editor improvements
- Block editing gets more flexible and intuitive with addition of more design tools to WordPress 6.1.
- It comes with tools like Typography Block Support, Dimension and Spacing Block Support, Colors Block Support, Layout Block Support, and Border Block Support.
- These design tools are going to be a great help to increase the user experience without the need to use CSS. Also, remember that these tools can be used to create great designs when combined together.
- This is just a catalyst for creativity, with more to come on the horizon. Stay tuned.
WordPress 6.0.3 Security release
- WordPress 6.0.3 released on October 17, 2022.
- It was a short cycle release with 16 security patch fixes.
- So, if your website is running in older versions of WordPress, update it immediately to avoid any kind of security breaches.
- Learn more about WordPress 6.0.3 Security release and the 16 security patch fixes.
- WordPress 6.1 Beta 3 released on October 4, 2022. Nearly 100 issues were resolved before the release of this version.
- Release Candidate 1 (RC 1) released on October 11, 2022. Approximately 100 items were addressed.
- Release Candidate 2 (RC 2) released on October 18, 2022. Approximately 65 items were addressed.
- Release Candidate 3 (RC 3) released on October 25, 2022. Approximately 60 items were addressed.
- This brings the total count to more than 2000 updates, since WordPress 6.0 in May of 2022.
- Gutenberg 14.3 is available for download as of October 12, 2022. This version brings the user enhanced tools panels for style-typography controls, shortcuts to quickly navigate blocks of text, improved drag and drop for images, and bug fixes.
- Gutenberg 14.4 is available for download as of October 26,2022. This version brings the user enhanced inline text selection, improvements to fluid typography, distraction free mode, added content locking to navigation block and bug fixes.
- In the September Roundup, we saw that Openverse celebrated for indexing more than 800,000 audio files.
- Audio support is available for beta from October 20, 2022.
- This is for the shutterbugs out there showcase your captured moments to a broader audience. You can help grow the WordPress Photo Directory collection by sharing your own images to WordPress photo repository.
- WordCamp Nepal, Sevilla, and Costa Rica is taking place on 5-6th November 2022.
- WordCamp Gresik, is taking place on 9-10th November, 2022.
- WordCamp Italia, on 11-12th November, 2022.
- WordCamp Nagpur, on 12th November, 2022.
WordPress October Roundup – Parting notes
What are your thoughts on the October Roundup of WordPress?
Also, which features of WordPress 6.1 are you most excited about?
Feel free to post your opinions, thoughts and comments. You can also send your questions/insights/ideas via an electronic letter 📧 at [email protected]
Also, subscribe 🔔 to our newsletter to get the latest information directly to your inbox.
Good bye for now. See you in next month’s roundup!